The Secret Virtual Life of Florence Yoo

Florence Yoo: singer/songwriter/wisenheimer/glad participant in this game... Her CDs available on cdbaby.com: INDELIBLE and IN MY MIND I AM 5'9", confirming she is weird AND delusional. Factoids: commission to write the song ART TALK for Lynn Hershman; composer for Julia Cho's fun children's play, BAY AND THE SPECTACLES OF DOOM, La Jolla Playhouse, CA. Copyright 2005-2014 Florence Yoo (ASCAP) All rights reserved, etc., etc., etc....

My Photo
Name:
Location: coming soon..., to a venue near you!, United States

optimistic, determined, happy, lucky, earnest, sentimental, doing my best to move that rubber tree plant...

Friday, June 02, 2006

Stolen from the Blog of Moifee...

I got a mass e-mail message from Christine Pechera about this blog entry... I thought it was too good not to steal... check it... www.moifee.blogspot.com

Last week. A friend of mine invited me to a screening of his film, telling me that it’s gonna be $20 a ticket. He produces independent films that are much better than “Catstle”, but pay to see a screening!?! And I’ve already seen the fucking movie twice.What the fuck?No, seriously. That’s the name of the movie.“Fuck”“Fuck” is an hilarious documentary that starts with a fun, light-hearted history of the word “fuck” and then follows the on-going culture clash between America’s religious right and the more fuck-friendly left. It’s a very intelligent, well-balanced, and incredibly entertaining film. Some people compare it to “The Aristocrats” but that comparison sells the film very fuckin’ short. “Fuck” uses animation by Bill Plimpton and stars (among others) Hunter S. Thompson, Kevin Smith, Drew Carey, Sam Donaldson, Bill Hicks, Billy Connolly, Alan Keyes, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce, and Pat Boone who totally steals the fuckin’ show. Plus, it has one of the stars of “Asian Street Hookers 7”. But as much as I love this film, why the fuck would I pay $20 to see it for a third time?Because one of the interns who rose to co-producer, a young woman – hell, a kid – named Christine Pechera has non-hodgkin’s lymphoma. Cancer. Not the kind that gets zapped out with a laser. Not the kind that can be fought with “5K Fun Runs”. We’re talking serious fucking cancer. If she doesn’t get a bone marrow donor, she will die.You know what’s scarier than ghost/zombie/monster cats? Cancer.This screening was a fund-raiser and an attempt to raise awareness. I didn’t know Christine. Never even heard of her before, but I felt going to see this movie was the least I could do. Christine was there. She was graceful and charming and so very young. She was so positive in the face of a very grave future. She never showed any fear or sadness. She just thanked everyone for coming and lit up the room with her infectious smile. All the while, she was very aware that she might not be alive to see her movie be released this fall. Seeing her humbled me. It frightened me. Here is a beautiful person, a vibrant, joyous person, whose not just battling cancer – she’s losing to it. And I get grumpy when Starbucks screws up my grande non-fat, sugar-free, vanilla latte.People filled the lobby, getting tested for a bone marrow match or donating funds so that others could be tested. I am already registered in the National Marrow Donor Program but Christine is Filipino making the pool of potential bone marrow donors is very limited and specific. Making matters worse, testing in the Philippines is expensive – about $275 a person. It’s like looking for a needle in a haystack but not being able to afford a magnifying glass.So, look. Here’s the deal. I know you don’t know Christine. Neither do I. I didn’t even get introduced to her. But I’m going to ask you to do two things for her.1) I want you to get tested – just tested. You don’t have to even donate the marrow right now. You may never have to. Just get tested. The testing is painless. The donating does leave you sore for a few days – like a rigorous workout – but when you have the power to actually save a person’s life, what conceivable reason do you have for not helping? How do you look Christine in the eye and say “Yeah, I don’t wanna be sore so…. So long!” You can’t.Here, go to this site. Order the kit. If you’re a minority, it’s free. (I mean ethnic minority, not just somebody who thinks Leo Sayer totally rocks.)2) Then, I want you to open your wallet and pull out a credit card and use it to donate here so that other people can get tested.You have some money. Don’t be a douche. That new iPod seems kinda stupid now, doesn't it?Do it right now. I’ll wait.We’re talking about things you can actually do to save someone’s life. You’re not just buying a small sand bag to drop in rushing floodwaters in New Orleans or donating one bag of rice to feed a starving nation. If you match Christine you will save her life. It's as simple as that. You will keep her alive and beautiful and charming and wonderful and all that she is. You got something better to do?Fuck cancer. Save Christine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home