The Secret Virtual Life of Florence Yoo

Florence Yoo: singer/songwriter/wisenheimer/glad participant in this game... Her CDs available on cdbaby.com: INDELIBLE and IN MY MIND I AM 5'9", confirming she is weird AND delusional. Factoids: commission to write the song ART TALK for Lynn Hershman; composer for Julia Cho's fun children's play, BAY AND THE SPECTACLES OF DOOM, La Jolla Playhouse, CA. Copyright 2005-2014 Florence Yoo (ASCAP) All rights reserved, etc., etc., etc....

My Photo
Name:
Location: coming soon..., to a venue near you!, United States

optimistic, determined, happy, lucky, earnest, sentimental, doing my best to move that rubber tree plant...

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Little Help for Christine Pechera?

From the uncommonly kind JULIA CHO...

Hey Florence!

Hope you are doing well.

I'm actually writing though because i was wondering if
I could enlist your help. over the weekend, I got
back in touch with a really old childhood friend,
Tony, from my days as a kid in Whittier. He told me
about his friend, Christine, a Filipina filmmaker in
LA who's dying of lymphoma. She desperately needs a
bone marrow transplant. Without it, she may only have
a year to live.

Ed and I are trying to get the word out because
Christine's best chance is to have a Filipino donor
but there are almost no Filipino donors in the
national bone marrow registry. And donating bone
marrow is such a simple procedure. The odds of
finding a match are 1 in 20,000 so I figure all we
need to do is register at least 20,000 Filipinos or
people with an Asian or Latino background.

So I think to myself: where can I find 20,000
Filipinos/Asians?

I've written to the AAWW, Theater Mu, Ma-Yi, NAATCO
and now you, since you have the largest personal email
newsletter of anyone I know. Would you mind putting a
little blurb about Christine on your next
e-newsletter? Her website is
http://www.christinepechera.com
and it has her whole story. Basically, right now
they're just asking people to register as a donor.
They'll only contact you if they think you might be a
match. And the fact is that any donor of any race
could be the miracle someone's looking for.

Once you see her photo and read her story, I think
you'll understand why Ed and I want to help her.
Losing her would be a huge loss--not just to her
family and friends but to the entire Asian-American
artistic community. Honestly, the website made me
cry.

Anyway, hope you're well. We miss your smiling face.
If you have any other ideas on how to get the word
out, let me know!

julia

Back to me, Florence...

If anyone has any ideas on how best to help, please
contact me and I will pass the word on...

Love and God bless y'all out there,
Florence

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you contacted the Filipino Consulate? I don't know their number, but they are located at 3600 Wilshire, 5th Floor.

I also looked in the phonebook for them, but instead found some other LA groups that might be interested in helping:

Filipino American Heritage Institute 213-382-0488
Filipino American Service Group 213-384-5054 or 213-487-9804
Filipino Christian Church 213-483-5821
Filipino Ministry LA:323-662-8480 Eagle Rock:323-256-4196
Filipino Singles Club 213-386-4732

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Jeff

8:39 AM  
Blogger Florence Yoo said...

Dear Jeff,

This is great! Thank you so very much!

Yours sincerely,
Florence :D

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home