The Secret Virtual Life of Florence Yoo

Florence Yoo: singer/songwriter/wisenheimer/glad participant in this game... Her CDs available on cdbaby.com: INDELIBLE and IN MY MIND I AM 5'9", confirming she is weird AND delusional. Factoids: commission to write the song ART TALK for Lynn Hershman; composer for Julia Cho's fun children's play, BAY AND THE SPECTACLES OF DOOM, La Jolla Playhouse, CA. Copyright 2005-2014 Florence Yoo (ASCAP) All rights reserved, etc., etc., etc....

My Photo
Name:
Location: coming soon..., to a venue near you!, United States

optimistic, determined, happy, lucky, earnest, sentimental, doing my best to move that rubber tree plant...

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Words Du Jour

adamantine

One entry found for adamantine.

Main Entry: ad·a·man·tine
Pronunciation: "a-d&-'man-"tEn, -"tIn, -'man-t&n
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin adamantinus, from Greek adamantinos, from adamant-, adamas
1 : made of or having the quality of adamant
2 : rigidly firm : UNYIELDING
3 : resembling the diamond in hardness or luster


Richard Loranger inscribed his superfine Poems for Teeth for me with a word I had never heard before, "adamantium."

At first, I mistakenly looked up the word, "adamantine", as above.

Then I realized my mistake and found the following:

Adamantium is a virtually indestructible man-made steel alloy which does not occur in nature and whose exact chemical composition is a United States government classified secret. Adamantium is not an element: its properties do not qualify it for any known space on the Periodic Table of Elements. Rather, Adamantium is a series of closely related compounds of iron created through a secret process discovered by the American metallurgist Dr. Myron MacLain.

Author Monique Truong was the first person to tell me to use
www.webster.com
to look up words because I made the comment that I know a lot of words only by sight and therefore, I don't know how the heck to pronounce them. She informed me that there was a function on the webster page where you just click and hear how it is said. Thanks so much for the helpful hint, Monique!

The best thing I saw on television last week:

Def Jam mogul, Russell Simmons in the back of a limo... A dude was playing a rough cut of a new hip hop/rap song that started with trumpets and horns, as if gladiators were about to enter a stadium... Russell was so excited he put his foot behind his head -- a yoga-like move that made me cock my head to the side, much like Scooby Doo, and audibly say, "Huh?"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home