The Secret Virtual Life of Florence Yoo

Florence Yoo: singer/songwriter/wisenheimer/glad participant in this game... Her CDs available on cdbaby.com: INDELIBLE and IN MY MIND I AM 5'9", confirming she is weird AND delusional. Factoids: commission to write the song ART TALK for Lynn Hershman; composer for Julia Cho's fun children's play, BAY AND THE SPECTACLES OF DOOM, La Jolla Playhouse, CA. Copyright 2005-2014 Florence Yoo (ASCAP) All rights reserved, etc., etc., etc....

My Photo
Name:
Location: coming soon..., to a venue near you!, United States

optimistic, determined, happy, lucky, earnest, sentimental, doing my best to move that rubber tree plant...

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Last Night's Happy Hour Salon in Manhattan

I had a fantastic time at Joanna Parson's Happy Hour Salon last night. I arrived a bit early to help guest host, the multi-talented Andy Christie
slimfilms.com set up. Ripley Grier Studios is much fancier than I had imagined. They have a neon sign of their name, a soda machine and a snack machine. I immediately bought a bag of mini Oreo cookies. They were delicious.

Joanna Parson joannaparson.com made a low-tech/high-tech virtual appearance: a xeroxed photo of her was taped onto the mic stand as Andy hit the laptop, and we heard Joanna's voice greet us, and we heard her sing a song about what to expect of the salon...

I sang shortened versions of my songs, I Love NY and The Early Morning Sun (in an effort to fit everything into the alloted 10 minute slot) and full versions of Shut Up You Suck and Pete's Candy Store -- my mini songs. And told a few jokes since my act is increasingly becoming more talk, less rock...

James Braly read an engaging story about an affair. After the salon, he told me I needed a room that was a little darker, filled with smoke. I thought, that would be fine, except for the smoke...

Janice Erlbaum, aka Girlbomb read a poignant story about Dutch, a young girl leaving a homeless shelter.. 411 on Girlbomb's life story... amazon.com

Watch out for her new book which comes out in March 2006!

I chatted with Girlbomb girlbomb.com for a few moments. I said that I knew I was a bonfide nerd since I had this note scrawled on the palm of my hand. I showed it to her and I asked her if she could read it. She humored me and looked and asked, "Return library book?" I replied, "No, renew library book." She didn't miss a beat and retorted, "Oh, it's not even return? It's renew? You need a note on your other palm: READ FASTER."

The Rob and Mark Show robandmarkshow.com did that Rob and Mark thing that they do... Two guys, a guitar and a microphone... Who could ask for anything more?

Last but not least, Andy Christie andychristie.com recounted the funny tale of his mom, insurance forms and a misplaced cigarette...

Okay, so now I have to go and renew that library book or maybe read faster...

1 Comments:

Blogger Florence Yoo said...

Ahem, but I beg to differ... Words that come to mind regarding Ms. Girlbomb include: supermart, gracious, charming -- oh, and what's a concise way of saying, "We, minions, bow to the way Girlbomb writes her ass off?"

Thanks for the kind words, Janice. I'll try and click that paypal payment off to you ASAP...

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home